Thursday 3 May 2012

It All Began...

It all began as soon as you had finished reading this sentence. So, now. But if you weren’t ready then don’t worry for there is still time to stop; there is always time to stop. Of course, that is not to suggest that the story hasn’t actually started yet. After all, you were the one that finished reading the sentence and I am afraid that there is very little that can be done about that. However, it should also be noted that you are under no obligation to continue; at least, under no obligation to me. In fact, as far as I’m concerned, my life would have been a whole lot easier had you not begun at all, in which case I wouldn’t have to be explaining your current predicament to you. Nevertheless, this is your story, not mine. Therefore, whether or not you choose to continue reading is entirely up to you. For my part, I shall sincerely endeavour not to judge you by your decision, even if that decision is to mercilessly abandon the story that you began.

I must say, I commend you on your choice. If it had been up to me, I highly doubt I would have been so easily swayed. To think of all the things that you could be doing right now. To think of all the things that I’d rather be doing right now.  But perhaps you feel that you have been coerced in to this story? I suppose it is true that I could have given more forewarning; a change in tenses perhaps. However, you made your decision and I respect that. Now, whether it was out of misplaced guilt or genuine curiosity, I can’t say. Yet either way, I have a feeling that you will be disappointed because, although I wish it wasn't the case, it all ended as soon as you had finished this 

3 comments:

  1. You were right - it was my decision. But you will never really know whether I did and was disappointed - or didn't and wasn't. However this is perhaps an inescapable consequence for one who begins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, although based upon your response I do know that you must have at least read the sentence about being disappointed! It is an interesting concept though; no matter what the writer writes, he cannot guarantee what will and won't be read or even the order in which the reader chooses to read. I suppose the writer simply has to trust that what he writes will be read the way he envisaged it. Of course, the trust goes both ways though; the reader invests a certain amount of trust in the writer. Does this matter? Perhaps not, but I think it is a fun idea to think about

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything I look for in a blog post, up to and including the ending.

    ReplyDelete

I did a thought...